Monday, March 12, 2012

[ancientcultures&modernmovies]

so last wednesday we went to see journey 2, with the rock and vanessa hudgins... it's pretty cheesy, but it was in english and 3D so ellen thought we would like it- and we laughed so it must have been at least a little funny. we went to see it in this giant mall.
FIVE stories!!!

treated to ice cream
 we had a fantastic lecture on thursday morning about nutrition. and we took a picture, but it's blurry and i look horrid, so i'll spare you. although the lecture was in mandarin, it provided a lot of good information about typical diets and dietary problems facing china. seeing as how i need to write a paper related to this topic, i got great information :)
we also had chinese class on thursday and friday. and for once it wasn't horrid- i actually know more than i am willing to admit. and if anyone wants to skype and practice with me i might actually "study".
on saturday we had quite the adventure! we went to liangzhu cultural village and museum. basically this was one of the first civilizations of people and this is really important to the chinese people. we also had the privilege to be taken by two of the nurse managers and their families. it was so nice to be around families and play with little kids. "tiger" was the little boy who was quite the ham and i cannot remember the little girls name for the life of me but she was BEAUTIFUL, super shy at first but then she and i skipped around together. we are chinese pals. first we went to one of their friends house's and had traditional tea served, then we went to the spiciest, but most delicious lunch around. here's some pictures to illustrate:
tea making is quite the process 

my sweet pal

jordan + "tiger"

coffee pals

oh lu-shu-li!

our teacher thinks jordan is russian

tiger and his cake

best group ever!

george & me

the pond!
it was such a fabulous day! and it was even warm enough that we saw a few weddings and learned a little about those. and than louise and her family took us to kfc for dinner. that's the popular american eatery here.
the wedding


such a great family
i also got to skype my sister, my mom, zachary, my dad, my stepmom, my dog, and my gramma! so great to see their smiling faces we even took a "group shoot" to share 
ben, my dog skyping

don't think gram heard the count :)
for the most part these past few days have been busy but good. i'm starting to see the little things a little more clearly. it's helping me enjoy the opportunities i get to experience here. i found out thursday that my best friend from high school husband died. that's  thrown me for a processing loop and i've spent a lot of time thinking about and praying for both of them. i know that there are no words that i can say to change anything, but it was good to be reminded how important and precious life is. he was a wonderful, fun, considerate man- who also fought for our country- his life will be celebrated and my memories of my friend & him will continue to remain in my heart. 

prayer requests:
-my friend, for peace, comfort, and strength from the Lord. and for her family and his family
-gratitude for this incredible journey i have
-continued guidance and pursuit of the Lord
-the future, the last few weeks, I have been trying hard not to worry about graduating and getting a job, but it's starting to irk me :/

love, 
darcy
罗达茜

No comments:

Post a Comment